Sunday 10 May 2015

Clevedon Climb 34

Not so much a climb. More a rolling ramble.   My daughter lives in Clevedon and my granddaughter was visiting this weekend. Took the opportunity to ride over to see them.  This has been on my bucket list since moving to Weston and today seems a good time to do it.


Congresbury Yeo

Starting from near Compton Martin near Bath this river flows west to the Severn Estuary near to Clevedon.  I think the yellow plants are oilseed rape self seeding from nearby fields. This little bridge gives access to the Strawberry Line from the A370 just outside Congresbury.


Drum and Monkey Pub

This pub is at Kenn on the road from Yatton to Clevedon. WE go here once a month with my daughter to their 'Theme Nights'. Last week it was curry, next month it will be Greek night. Good value, all you can eat for £8.75.


Stocks


Stocks were common in medieval times and were used as a form of punishment and public humiliation for minor offences. Sometimes the victims were kept in them for some time and were subject to the daily and nightly weather.  As a consequence it was not uncommon for people kept in stocks over a number of days to die from exposure.  These were right by the Drum and Monkey. Next time I go, will make sure I pay the bill.


Carried on from here to Jacqueline's in Clevedon where I was forced to eat a bacon sandwich and drink a cup of tea. My kids are cruel to me!
Took a longer route back home and covered 34 miles in total.

No comments:

Post a Comment