Wednesday 30 January 2013

30th January 2013 Warwick Castle Estate

A blustery old day today with winds pushing 30 mph. A nice sunny day though so braved the winds and headed towards Warwick.

Warwick Castle Estate

There is a bridge over the River Avon in the middle of the Warwick Castle Estate, a part that is deemed to be private and away from the tourism side of the business. It is a very old bridge, very picteresque, and the plan today was to get a snap of it. Riding through the grounds I came across this house in a wood, very isolated, and not too far from the river. 
I was approached by some chap who stated that he was the gardner for the property and could he help me. I explained what I was up to and asked for permission to visit the bridge. Please yourself he said but be aware that there is a shoot going on and it will be dangerous if you go any further! I think he spoke with forked tongue. I had not heard any shots fired, there were no vehicles about, the bridge is in the middle of the wood so this was his way of saying no. I had to respect that but I will be back.


Joseph Arch Pub

 This is in the middle of Barford and is named after a local hero, Joseph Arch, who in 1872 was instrumental in forming a union for the agricultural workers. He later became a successful MP and died in Barford in 1919, aged 92 years.



West Gate Warwick

This picture taken from the Stratford Road in Warwick. West Gate is part of the original walls of the town.


Lord Leycester Hospital

This is the main entrance to the hospital which is actually a retirement home for ex servicemen. First built in 1126 it became first a hospital in 1526 and later a home. A banquet was held here, in the Great Hall, for King James I (died 1625) which put the town of Warwick in debt for 10 years.  In 1966, the place was fully restored and opened by the late Queen Mother.  A good place to visit, plenty of history. £4.90 to get in. I think they must be still repaying that debt!


A nice gentle mooch around Warwick today. The wind made it much better going home which was a bonus. Just over 14 miles today.

1 comment:

  1. Your bike works better than your phone!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete