Friday 3 January 2014

3rd January 2014 Rotorua bimble

Two days stuff on here today. Haven't done much to be fair over the last couple of days. 

Benny

I did notice, alarmingly, that the front wheel on my lad's bike was wobbling far more than it should, so I booked it into CycleZone on Fenton Street to get the cones tightened up. A job I was happy to do myself if the tools were available, but the two spanners needed were 11,00 miles away. My step son would have sorted it in two shakes of a New Zealand lamb's tail. Left the bike with Benny, the resident mechanic, for 30 minutes whilst I had a coffee and returned to find that not only was the wheel done, but the brakes had been adjusted and the dodgy gears altered to work efficiently. All for the same modest price that I had been originally quoted. So fair play to Benny and the CycleZone shop. Well done. A place to recommend if you want some jobs doing.


Arawa War Memorial

This is in the Government Gardens and is a fitting tribute to the men of the local Arawa tribe. As the inscription says, "Erected by the Arawa Tribes in perpetual remembrance of their sons, who in the Great War, loyally upheld the cause of their god, their country, and their king. 1914-1919"

  
Lake View

A view over Lake Rotorua, with the Maori museum and St Faith's church in the foreground. This area of land is called Ohinemutu and is owned by the Maori people.


Government Gardens Gate

The main entrance to Government Gardens, this traditional gate guards the entrance along with some fairly ferocious looking carved figures.


Only 5 miles over the last couple of days.

2 comments:

  1. That's a great bike shop! As I look out my window at the subfreezing weather, your pictures are very nice to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that. Got the freezing weather to go back to in a few days. Back to wearing layers and thermals!

    ReplyDelete