Sunday 23 June 2019

Meet Sparky

Having tested out an electric bike last week, I was so impressed I bought it and picked it up Monday . This will give me a new lease of life, especially having been told by my doctor to avoid hills.  With hills to the north and east of me, and sea to the left, no wonder my rides have been restricted. Not any more, hills will be a lot less challenging (there is still an amount of effort to be done,  Sparky, as I have christened the bike, is not a moped you know.) and this will open up new horizons.  So much so I have entered for the Great Western ride in three weeks time.

Out with Old Gits

After a decent trial ride to Burnham on the day I bought it, the next day, Tuesday 18th June, went out with the Old Gits and did the original route which entails Banwell Hill, past the caves, a hill that I normally struggle on.  Not this day. Straight up, had to work a bit mind but not overly so.  Took this picture at one of the 'catch up' stops having left the hill behind.


A ride to Hatton

Had a couple of days in Leamington on the Wednesday and Thursday but disappointingly could not get Sparky in my car.  The geometry of it is a lot different to mine and despite being the same size it would not fit!  Had to take my 'old' bike instead.  Had a bimble around Leamington on the Wednesday, called in for tea and biscuits with Graham, and met up with Mick on the Thursday doing 21 miles around the lanes and canal at Warwick.  Riding the old bike again made me realise what a good move it was getting Sparky.  This is us having tea and tea cake at the Hatton Locks Cafe.


And back to Warwick

Taken by Mick on a brief pause halfway down the 21 locks on an excellent riding day.  Sun shining, 3 miles downhill, wind from behind, good company, top that for a morning out then.  Never seen so many barges at one time using this stretch of water. Must be the peak time for hiring narrow boats.


Over the hills

Friday, I was back in Weston and did a Friday Ride with 6 other Old Gits over to Clevedon. Did 46 miles and about 2/5 of Sparky's battery life.  In all fairness, the battery was switched off most of the time as it was flat for 90% of the way.  The next day, without a recharge, I tackled three of the local hills that I normally avoid like the plague.  One of them, at Shiplake near Bleadon, I did in 2014 and it took me 6mins 05 secs at 3.7 mph and yesterday without getting too much out of breath, 2 mins and 33 secs at 8.9 mph.  What a difference.  I overtook another cyclist on a mountain bike, had a chat with him and left him green with envy.  He was 62, really struggled up the incline and may now seriously consider 'going over to the dark side'! And the below photo is what you get at the top.


The battery still had 1/5 charge left after those hills and a total of 68 miles so that bears well for the future.  145 miles so far this week and I am off out again today!

No comments:

Post a Comment