Friday 10 May 2013

10th May 2013 Walton Wheeler

After a rest day yesterday, keen to get out today. The wind was still a bit blustery so headed into the south west wind with a view to going round Walton Hall.

Barford River Bridge

Took my favourite route, out through Warwick via the racecourse, Barford, Charlecote and through Wellesbourne to Walton. This picture was of the old road bridge in Barford looking down onto the river Avon. Sadly, a father and son were drowned here about a year ago when floods made the water quite dangerous at this point. The family, in a small rowing boat, went through the nearby weir. Very sad.


Lambert Court

Going through Barford village, I checked out the disused telephone box but the village heritage club have not updated it yet with any new information. Watch this space! A bit further on I was surprised to see this place, Lambert Court. I have been past here 20/30 times and never spotted it before. I shall have to doff my cycling helmet at this point in the future.


Oilseed Rape

Through Charlecote and Wellesbourne, turn off the Kineton Road into the grounds of Walton Hall. It is marked private but I think they are getting used to me now. The crops of oilseed rape are doing very well down the main drive. Pity any hay fever sufferers who come and stay here. (or indeed cycle through.)


Loxley Maidens

Out the other side of Walton Hall, through Walton village (population must be at least 20), and made a beeline to the Airfield cafe. Near Loxley, these fine young ladies seemed very interested in me, so for their keen eye, and expertise at talent spotting, I took their photograph. I asked them to keep still and you know, they never mooed.



Good stop at the cafe, bread pudding and a cup of tea before the wind blew me home. A good 30 miler today.

No comments:

Post a Comment