Saturday 8 December 2012

8th December 2012

After a couple of days off, got out this afternoon for some fresh air. Headed for Leamington town to do a circular route. A really nice winters day, clear blue sky it was a pleasure to be out on the bike.

Winter shadow
Being out in the latter part of the afternoon I noticed how long the shadows were getting. I stopped in Hill Wootton village to get this shot.


Hill Wootton Road  
A small bridge over the River Leam. I trust that the house situated here has had it's cellar well waterproofed as the river does tend to rise very high here after heavy rain.


Blackdown Mill
Situated on the Blackdown to Hill Wootton road, this old mill has had various uses including an antique  centre. Not really relevant here, but I had my first accident here in 1963 when a motorbike I was on slipped on wet leaves on this nasty corner. Fortunately, the kick start pedal suffered far more damage that I did.

St Mary Magdelene Church Lillington
Called in on this old church on the way into Leamington. I was a choirboy here in the 50s getting paid two bob (10pence) if we did a wedding. My first taste of being rich!!


The Fountains 
I have been coming past these for a couple of weeks now but they have been turned off. Back on today but nothing like their normal majesty. I will put pictures on here again when the council can afford to increase the pressure.


 The Midland Oak
The Midland Oak was a large oak tree that grew on the boundary between Lillington and Leamington Spa. For centuries, it was reputed that it marked the centre of England. After it had to be felled in the early eighties, this tree was grown from an acorn that was found nearby. It was replanted in 1988 and a plaque marks the event..


The Elephant Walk
Situated near to the Mill Gardens in the centre of Leamington, this walkway to the River Leam was originally built to give access to the river for animals to drink and be washed. In the middle of the 19th century, travelling circuses used it for the same reasons for their elephants and other animals hence its name. I did consider taking the bike down for a spring clean but it was too cold. 


All in all a thoroughly enjoyable ride this afternoon. It did start to get a little cold as the sun went down but layers kept that tolerable. Certainly enjoying the challenge of places to visit on my regular rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment