Tuesday 25 December 2012

25th December 2012

After a couple of disastrous days with the weather, Christmas Day looked liked carrying on with the same wet weather. Thankfully, the rain stopped around 11 and the sun started to come out. Thats it, get the bike out. I planned on going through Warwick and Leamington and I planned on going past MacDonald's to see whether that was open Christmas Day and how many folks were using it. On the way, I called in at Saxon Mill to see how high the River Avon was.

Saxon Mill

Still pretty high as the picture shows. There were a few intrepid ramblers about and some waded through the water, others clambered along the parapet. I could not help smile at the sign, strategically placed. The Christmas Elf and Safety were working overtime today. It says, "Caution wet floor." 


The Avon
The river was well up, and will possibly get higher if the forecasted rain comes over the next couple of days. Getting fed up with it now. 


Puncture

Didn't get too far after that. Turned off the Myton Road onto the cycle path that runs through to Macdonald's on the Queensway.  A couple of hundred yards in, I got a flat in the rear tyre! I carry all the bits and bobs to mend a puncture, including a spare inner tube, but decided to get my wife Sue to come and fetch me. Time was a bit tight and it will be far more comfortable fixing it back at home.


The rescue

Did not have to wait long before my good samaritan arrived.  Times like this the bike rack was very much appreciated, I was soon home getting ready to go out for our Christmas dinner. 


So, a funny old 5 miles today. Busy day tomorrow fixing the puncture, and hoping that the weather will be kind enough for a longer ride.
I never did find out if Macdonald's was open by the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment